Wednesday, October 17, 2007

PUMPKINS


Pumpkin poem
One day I found two pumpkin seeds.
I planted one and pulled the weeds.
It sprouted roots and a big, long vine.
A pumpkin grew;
I called it mine.
The pumpkin was quite round and fat.
(I really am quite proud of that.)
But there is something I'll admit
That has me worried just a bit.
I ate the other seed, you see.
Now will it grow inside of me?
(I'm so relieved since I have found
That pumpkins only grow in the ground!)



We are going to do a pumpkin mini unit either next week or the week after. I am waiting to see when I will get the books that I put on hold at the library (I just waited to long.) I am looking at using the following books. (please keep in mind I have not seen these books. I am going on what I found in the catalog and what I have seen mentioned in lesson plans on the internet :) )

DAY ONE
Pumpkins Pumpkins by Titherington, Jeanne


From seed to pumpkin by Kottke, Jan

I think these two books are going to be the first we read. We are going to learn the parts of a pumpkin and learn the life cycle of a pumpkin
Sequence Cards for pumpkins:
http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/pdf.htm?pumpkin_sequence_cards.pdf
http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/pdf.htm?pumpkin_lesson.pdf
http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/pdf.htm?pumpkin_sequence_cards.pdf (this version includes cards showing the pumpkin being carved and made into pie)
http://www.everythingesl.net/downloads/pumpkin_booklet.pdf


DAY TWO

The biggest pumpkin ever
Kroll, Steven

How many seeds in a pumpkin?
McNamara, Margaret

http://teachers.net/lessons/posts/660.html Questions to ask while studying a pumpkin.
http://www.everythingesl.net/downloads/pumpkin_worksheet.pdf Another observation worksheet. It seems like the two last questions repeat each other but other than that a good worksheet.


The craft for the day https://www.joann.com/static/project/0707/P357153.pdf This is a place mat that is a little time consuming but it has a pattern that could be used as a jumping off point for your own version. I have some material left over from other projects that is fall colors. I am going to pull that out and use fabic glue for the boys to hem the edges and then we will cut out the face pattern from black felt and glue it on.

DAY THREE
My pumpkin
Noonan, Julia
http://www.everythingesl.net/downloads/pumpkin_record.pdf This is a worksheet used to record if pumpkins sink or float. It also inlcudes other veggies for comparison.
http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/pdf.htm?pumpkin_paper_lined_h1.pdf Pumpkin shape with lines for writing. Turkey Lips will write a short story about a pumpkin using these pages. I will have him include some the of the vocabulary from this worksheet. Turtle Toes can dictate a story to me. http://www.everythingesl.net/downloads/pumpkin_vocabulary.pdf

Snow pumpkin
Schaefer, Carole Lexa


The craft for the day: http://www.craftideas.info/html/paper_pumpkin_b.html I really like this one. I think for younger kiddos (Turtle Toes) it would be good to use craft foam instead of paper.


DAY FOUR
Oh my, pumpkin pie!
Ghigna, Charles
Of course after reading this we have to make a pumpkin pie. :) and pumpkin muffins and pumpkin bread and ..... You get the idea http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/feature/famf107pumpkin/famf107pumpkin8.html

Too many pumpkins
White, Linda


The craft for the day http://www.craftideas.info/html/pumpkin_suncatcher.html Pumpkin sun catcher.


MISC.


Family Fun article on neat things to do with pumpkins.



http://www.brick.net/~classact/apples.htm A list of books to use for pumpkins, apples, and fall.





Harvest Poem
When all the cows were sleeping
And the sun had gone to bed,
Up jumped the pumpkin,And this is what he said:
I'm a dingle dangle pumpkin
With a flippy floppy hat.
I can shake my stem like this,
And shake my vine like that.
When all the hens were roosting
And the moon behind a cloud,
Up jumped the pumpkin
And shouted very loud:
I'm a dingle dangle pumpkin......

1 comment:

Lisa~ said...

That looks like great fun! Thanks for sharing it! Glad to see youpost again and everyone is feeling better now!

Lisa~