We were able to work on our weather station some this past week. We have contiued to look at the clouds each day and the boys record what they see on their charts. Using My Calendar Book we have also started recording the temperature each day on the August chart. This week we built an anemometer. We built ours with little paper cups and straws. 
We did get a chance to measure some rain in our rain gauges. 
Turkey Lips is struggling some with solving for the unknown in math. He had this down when we finished up 1st grade but now he sometimes gets confused and will add the wrong numbers together or something similar. We are going to be working on just those this week with some regular addition and subtraction problems. I feel bad for him because math is one of his best subjects and it is frustrating him that he is getting confused.
The hit of the week is still the geography songs.
I am also looking at adding a few more hands on projects through out the week. I'm wondering if I should have some sort of hands on project 2 to 3 times a week. Both of the boys seem to engage more when they have project to work on. For history I could have them working on the hands on activities already assigned in TOG while I'm reading outloud some of the history reading. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
This summer break we started a National Parks Notebook. I bought pages from http://www.notebookingpages.com/index.html . Here is a sample of the Park pages http://www.notebookingpages.com/files/National_Parks_TOC_Sample.pdf . So far we have been able to add pages for Rocky Mountain National Park and Haleakala National Park and soon we are going to be visiting Mesa Verde National Park. The boys are able to put in the maps from the parks and pictures. Then they narrate to me what the learned or remember from the park.
Well I hope that this week goes a little bit smoother ;)
Have a great week!

4 comments:
Hi Kerri!
I see you got some rain! :)
Are the TOG projects too complex to be worked on while you read? It would definitely take some planning! The one thing I have is a paper for each child's studied dictation. The top of the paper has a quote or line from a book related to what we're studying. The rest of the page is blank. They're supposed to doodle stuff (related to topic) while I read. Then I Friday I dictate the sentence to them. My older girls definitely enjoy the creative opportunity more then my little boys, but you might try something similar.
I started a new blog to collect my homeschool related stuff and linked yours -- you've been an inspiration to me!
Lee
Kerri,
I love the blog and the pictures of the kids are great! I always have to give myself a month or so into the school year to get the kids and I into the swing again.
I appreciate your dedication,
Dawn
Kerri,
Thanks for leaving comments on my blog. I was glad to have someone visit. I am very new to this and I enjoy reading yours.
Here's to a new week!
Margie
Kerri,
Thanks for linking me in your blog! I have you linked in mine as well. You are doing such an amazing job. Can't wait to read more!
Post a Comment