We had another good week. We started studying the Vikings this week. We will finish this up on Tuesday of next week and then we will start our study of Knights. There are just a few more projects that we want to do on the Vikings before we are ready to pack it away.
Turtle Toes:
I am still trying to find a rhythm with Turtle Toes and Five in a Row. We read The Salamander Room this week and he really liked the book. I'm just trying to find a better way to fit it in our day. He still enjoys Making Math Meaningful and it looks like sometime after Christmas I will be ordering the Primer for Math U See and starting that with him.
His memorization is going well. He memorized quite a few verses from Sword Fighting and he has almost completed True Nobility by Edgar Guest. He has also memorized all of the linking verbs...no this wasn't required he thought Turkey and I were having to much fun chanting them so he joined in.
He likes Phonics Pathways because he can actually sound out real words instead of just drilling phonograms with SWR so I am combining both.
He likes classical music and right now he really likes Vivaldi.
Turkey Lips
SWR is going well. We are doing one list a week and this week he only missed one word although later I asked him orally how to spell it and he got it right. I had read on the WTM boards about quizzing them during the week orally and that has worked well this week.
Math U See is moving along. We worked on regrouping this week and he understood so we are moving forward.
Handwriting is difficult to fit in. Turkey wanted to start learning cursive so we have started that however I am going to have to carve out sometime at least twice a week to sit down with him and work on it. I was trying to have him work on it independently but that isn't working.
Memorization is the same a Turtle above.
TOG is going great. We are having alot of fun with it and the boys are enjoying it.
Geography is also going well. We are still listening to geography songs at circle time and we are also working our way through a small book on geography that I picked up. It looks like we will finish that up soon and I am looking at Beautiful Feet's Geography Guide and using Paddle to the Sea. I am still looking into it. If anyone has in ideas or input on it I would appreciate hearing what you have to say.
Well I think that is it for now. I am going to start planning for next week.



8 comments:
Hi Kerri!
Wow, your Vikings study looks AWESOME! I can't wait to see how the long boats turn out. The kids are doing an amazing job.
: )
Tami
Where are you getting all of your craft project ideas from? Are these scheduled in TOG or from a book you are using? This looks exactly like what I would like to be doing more of in history.
It looks like your boys are having so much fun. I love the projects. I was also wondering if all these projects are coming from TOG? I'm sure we'll have to move beyond just lapbooks when DS now 3 really starts into school.
Deanna (Narrow Gate Academy)
Thanks for all of your comments. This week I got a project ideas from a couple of sources but all of the other ones have been straight from TOG.
The viking money is from this website http://www.stemnet.nf.ca/CITE/arts/embossing_main.htm
The longboats were from TOG, but we just used model magic from Crayola to do them.
The Viking jewelery came from a book that I had found at a used book store.
We are going to do two more projects next week. One is a pair a book ends with runes written on them and the other is a viking cup. I found these in a book from the library called "Crafts From the Past The Vikings" By Gillian Chapman.
I decided I wanted a few different projects for the Vikings than what TOG suggested for this week, but normally I really like their craft ideas.
hth
Kerri :)
Wow! What a fun week you all are having!
That is the coolest slide show! I love the Viking Invasion picture!
Sounds like a great week -- do you think you've found your rhythm w/ TOG now?
Lee
Ugh! I thought I posted here yesterday... but I guess not!
I love the pictures.... I can tell you are really enjoying Vikings! Great memories the kids are going to have.... and the pictures are great keepsakes!
Peace~
Lisawa
Kerri,
Seeing all you are doing with your boys makes me so excited to learn more about TOG! Thanks for posting all you are doing. :)
Also, I passed on the "Nice Matters" award to you in my recent blog post. Check it out when you get a chance. You deserve it! :)
Blessings,
Jennefer
Post a Comment